By only working with quality, professional music teachers, we can guarantee the highest standard of music education.
About Matthew O.
Matthew is an internationally recognised composer who has written for some of the leading orchestras, ensembles and soloists in the world. He is passionate about teaching composition/music theory and viola to students of all levels and ages. While completing the LRAM and PGCertLTHE teaching qualifications alongside his Masters and PhD as Manson Fellow of Composition at the Royal Academy of Music, Matthew established an extensive teaching practice specialising in composition/music theory and the viola.
Lessons with Matthew will be will be individually catered for what you need and can be based on, but not limited to, any of the following programmes of study :
- Elementary Music Theory/Composition (Grade 1 - 4 Music Theory and composing for single line instrument/voice). Your first lesson with Matthew for Elementary Music Theory/Composition will include some introductory exploration of sounds and names of musical notes, basic rhythms/time signatures and composition of your own melodies.
- Intermediate Music Theory/Composition (Grade 5 Music Theory and composing for up to 4 instruments/voices). Your first lesson will include detailed exploration of all of the key signatures (the circle of 5ths) and an introduction to 4 part harmony.
- Advanced Music Theory/Composition (Grade 8 Music Theory/Advanced Harmony, Counterpoint and Orchestration). Your first lesson will include an introduction to the basics of writing harmony in the style of J.S.Bach, detailed analysis of your favourite classical piece of orchestral music and (if you would like), detailed exploration of one of your own compositions.
- Elementary, Intermediate and Advanced Viola. Your first lesson, whatever your level, will involve exploration of carefully selected viola repertoire and technical exercises.
- GCSE, A-Level and Undergraduate/Postgraduate Music Theory and Composition. For your first lesson, under my guidance, you will be producing GCSE, A-Level, Undergraduate or Postgraduate Composition of the highest quality.