By only working with quality, professional music teachers, we can guarantee the highest standard of music education.
About James M.
James is an inspiring and enthusiastic teacher with over 20 years of experience in the industry. Whether you are a beginner picking up a sax for the first time, advanced and looking to hone your art, or just want to play and have some fun, he is always happy to teach people of all ages and abilities. James tailors his lessons to the needs of each student with the emphasis of having fun and enjoying the instrument.
During the first lesson, James will talk and play along with the student to find out a bit more about them and what they want achieve from the level they are currently at. From here, he will then plan a course of action best for that student. The focus is always on enjoying playing music, improving technique and developing musical understanding.
As one of James’ students you can expect interactive lessons, playing by ear and improvising, recorded video clips of lessons, mp3s to play along with and practice tips to help your saxophone adventures along, all in a fun and guided way.
Beginner Lessons with James will cover:
- Explaining the different parts of your instrument, how to put them together and other basics, like cleaning and how to care for your instrument
- Getting a sound from your sax
- Where to put your fingers and how to hold it
- Listening and ear training exercises
- Music theory basics
- Posture and basic technique (how to hold your sax, standing or sitting)
If you already have started playing, James can help you with:
- Improving your sound and tone (embouchure)
- Playing lower and higher notes
- Playing faster and cleaner (fingering and tonguing)
- Improvisation (from the beginning to mastering)
- Listening skills (playing with backing tracks and other people)
- Music theory (jazz theory and understanding chords and scales)
James has been playing saxophone for 30 years and has 20 years experience in the industry as a teacher and session musician. He also has a Masters degree in Jazz from the The Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
James has always had a passion for education and has worked in many settings, including primary schools, grammar schools, music collages and facilities for children and youth with behavioural and learning difficulties.
James is a very empathetic musician and likes to understand his students in order to help them achieve their goals whatever they maybe be.
Does this sound like what your looking for?
Drop James a message and he will be more than happy to have a chat with you and talk about booking in your first lesson!